Sunday, July 26, 2009

Our Pioneer Heritage

A few years ago I found out that some of my pioneer heritage had settled here in Spanish Fork. It's a small world isn't it. I have been wanting to take my dad to some of the places that are known to be their farm sights and burial sights, since they are from his side of the family. The stars finally aligned and we were able to go on a little trip down memory lane on Pioneer Day. We left all the kids home with Chad!! We first drove by the Palmyra fort which is the town in which John Lowe Butler first settled after being sent here by Brigham Young. We didn't get any pictures because Gunnar decided to knock down two wasps nest that had settled on the wall. We were going to go back later and forgot. I will go and take pics later.
Then we drove to a possible sight for his farm. It is right off the main road we took everyday heading out to our old place on West Mountain.
Then we went to the Spanish Fork Cemetery where John Lowe Butler was buried along with his wives and some family members.
Then we found this wonderful Cemetery that I am ashamed to admit I didn't even know was here! Gunnar has several friends that live right by it, but I had never noticed it. I also didn't know that I had relatives buried there. In our readings that day we found out that the Redd's and the Butler's were friends here (actually John Lowe Butler was the bishop of Spanish Fork and John Hardison Redd was his 1st counselor). Then a few generations later in Mexico they became family when John Topham Butler married Susan Elizabeth Redd. John Topham's grandfather was John Lowe Butler & Susan's grandfather was John Hardison Redd. Susan Elizabeth Redd is my Great-grandma on my dad's side of the family. I hope I got this all right! Dad, let me know if I messed something up.
Tristen & Redd - named after his Redd ancestors
Names of some of the pioneers who are buried here. John Hardison Redd is named and his wife Elizabeth Hancock Redd

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Dad is going to be so thrilled to read this post Tiff! That is so awesome that you found all that history right in your backyard!

Tristen said...

Awesome! Thanks for taking us around that day. It was a perfect day. I need those pictures - you are going to have to put them on a web album or on a disc for me so I can have them.

Sara said...

Great updates Tiff! Lake Powell looks like it was a blast.

Stephanie said...

That is awesome you have relatives right here. We do to Kacy keeps trying to get me to go to the Benjamin Cemetary one of these times she is down.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I could be there to go to those sites with you guys!! Its crazy that they are right there.

Dennis said...

I hope all of our posterity can learn more about our heritage. It is very rich with faith, courage and devotion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Thank you Tiffany for a great day visiting our ancestors. I think you got all the names right. The Butlers and the Redds actually got hooked up with Lemuel Hardison Redd marrying Keziah Jane Butler! Keziah was John Topham Butler's aunt and Lemuel was Susie's father!