Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Horsin' Around

Last night Zach, Kourtney & I were able to "assist" Chad in delivering our last horse baby for the year! When I say "assist" I mean stand and watch! Since we are all a little clueless when it comes to delivering babies! This is Chad's all-time favorite part of the horse business. It is one of the few things that keeps him up past 9:00! This mare had been in labor all evening and then at about 10:30 she laid down and Chad & Zach ran out to the barn to help her, I followed shortly with my camera! Luckily for this mare and baby, Chad is really, really good at this stuff! The baby was turned side-ways and the back leg was coming out first! Chad had to reach in and turn the baby, then literally pull the baby out. I was afraid he was going to break his legs.

This was the first time Zach had been able to see a complete birth from this angle, so he was very fasinated! He had an instant connection to this horse. I love the way he was so serious and tender hearted. As we were walking back in the house he said, "Mom, I am going to show that baby someday". He took pictures to school today to show is teacher.



Mommy and baby meeting for the first time! Amazing - ten minutes after he was born he is up on all four legs! I am so glad our babies aren't that way, can you imagine if they came out walking?!
Zach & his new buddy!
Admiring their hard work!Kourtney & Sam came out and joined us a little after the baby was born. Kourtney's dream is to be a veternarian when she grows up so she is always wanting to learn from the best around - her father!
Rylee missed the birth, but has her own brood in the house that she takes very good care of. Last night while we were watching tv she snuck in the pantry and got out the shredded wheat to feed to her horses! She had them all laid out on the floor with a piece of cereal for each one. We were all dying when we saw this!






6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I am laughing so hard, that is too cute

Tara said...

Those pictures of that baby being born are priceless, they made me cry for some reason, great job on capturing that moment.Rylee is too cute with those horses. that last blog was me I don't know why is says it is mom.

Unknown said...

I dito EVERYTHING Tara said!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zach is so adorable and Rylee is too!! I love it all. I can't believe Chad just goes out there and delivers babies!

Stephanie said...

How exciting for Zach. We to are awaiting the arrival of a new baby horse we thought last night was the night. Needless to say the weather will probably be better if she has it today. That is so cute of Rylee!

Stephie said...

What awesome pictures! Chad you are so cool!

Kathryn said...

Tiff, that is a very tender experience for your kids. Good job on capturing the moment on camera. By the way, this is the first time I have commented. I don't know who commented first under my name, but it wasn't me, your mom.